Drug & Alcohol Specialist Advisory Service
Need treatment advice for patients with drug and alcohol issues? Call the DASAS line for free advice from an Addiction Medicine Specialist.
DASAS is a free 24/7 telephone service that provides general advice to health professionals who require assistance with the clinical diagnosis and management of patients with alcohol and other drug related concerns.
DASAS is designed to support all health professionals, especially those working in regional, rural and remote areas of New South Wales or the Australian Capital Territory. DASAS is also available to health professionals working in metropolitan areas where timely local specialist drug and alcohol support is not available.
Callers to the DASAS line generally include GPs, hospital doctors, nurses, mental health staff, pharmacists and other allied health professionals.
Calling DASAS is a way of getting advice on all alcohol and other drugs (AOD) clinical issues such as;
- How to manage intoxication and withdrawal
- Medications used to treat individuals with AOD use problems
- AOD treatment options for patients
- Advice on methadone, buprenorphine (Suboxone) and other opioid treatments
- Advice on methamphetamine dependence and treatment options
- Advice on treating patients with alcohol use disorder
- Advice on supporting patients experiencing concerns associated with cannabis, GHB, benzodiazepines, cocaine, MDMA, tobacco or other substances
- General advice on what AOD conditions can or cannot be safely and effectively managed in a community or general practice setting
DASAS calls are initially answered by a clinician with experience working in the AOD field who may be able to assist you with your enquiry. If not, the clinician will take the details of your call and will organise for the specialist to talk you within a timeframe that meets your needs.
All doctors on the DASAS line are qualified Addiction Specialists.
DASAS operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please do not hesitate to call, even if you are not sure if this telephone service is right for you, as we can assist in directing your enquiry to the right place.
DASAS is funded by NSW Health and managed by St Vincent’s Hospital Alcohol and Drug Service in Sydney.
Within Sydney Metropolitan Area: (02) 8382-1006
Regional, Rural & Remote NSW: 1800 023 687*
* Please note - free call numbers are not free from mobile phones, except Telstra mobiles.
Who can the general public call for help?
The public can call the Alcohol & Drug Information Service (ADIS), a free 24/7 confidential telephone counselling service for New South Wales residents with alcohol and/or drug concerns. ADIS is staffed by professional counsellors who provide advice, information, brief intervention counselling and referral to services, across the state.
Within Sydney Metropolitan Area: (02) 8382-1000
National Hotline: 1800 250 015
Web Chat available via: yourroom.health.nsw.gov.au/webchat