Do you need help understanding information we give you?
If you speak a language other than English or if you are hearing impaired, we can provide you with an interpreter free of charge.
Patients and families do not have to pay for interpreters.
The service is provided by confidential, professional interpreters who can assist with communication. We can arrange interpreters if:
• you are a patient in our Hospital
• you come to hospital for an appointment
• a community health worker visits you at home
We can organise:
• face-to-face interpreters. This means the interpreter is in the room with you and the doctor, nurse or other staff member
• telephone interpreters. This means the interpreter is on the telephone while you are with the doctor, nurse or other staff member
You can also use the telephone interpreter to call us at by:
• calling the Translating Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450
• telling the operator what language you speak
• asking the operator to set up a telephone conversation between you, an interpreter, and the hospital.
• giving the operator the phone number for the hospital switchboard, ward
A local call charge will apply but there is no cost to you for the telephone interpreter.
An interpreter will help you and the staff member understand each other, get accurate information and ask questions. Our interpreters are compliant with our patient confidentiality policy.
In 2017-2018 we had patients from over 200 countries of birth, and speaking over 100 languages.