You are here:
15 Apr 2016
You need reasons to become an organ donor? Check out these facts to start:
1. You can help many: More than 1,600 people are on transplant waiting lists at any one time. Sadly some die waiting for a transplant.
2. Join the majority: The majority of Australians (69%) are willing to become organ and tissue donors.
4. It’s quick and simple: It takes only a few minutes to register on the Australian Organ Donor Register http://www.donatelife.gov.au/decide
5. One donor can save 10 lives: One organ and tissue donor can transform the lives of 10 or more people.
6. You can still have an open casket funeral: Organ and tissue donation does not affect funeral arrangements, you are still able to have an open casket funeral following donation.
7. It’s a virtuous and charitable act: Almost all religions support organ and tissue donation as an act of compassion and generosity.
8. Age is not a barrier: People over 80 have become organ and tissue donors.
9: In good hands: Australia is a world leader for successful transplant outcomes, which includes the heart and lung transplant program at St. Vincent’s.
10: Have an important conversation with your loved ones: If you decide you wish to be an organ donor, make sure you discuss your decision with your loved ones so that they know your wishes.
Information taken from donatelife.gov.au