From the day you arrive at St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney our health care team will begin to plan your discharge.
As the determined date of your discharge approaches, our team will decide the most appropriate discharge destination. Most patients return directly home, however some patients return home with community support services, transfer to another facility or require rehabilitation.
Once your personalised discharge plan has been discussed with you and your family or carer, our staff will make the necessary arrangements.
You will need to arrange your own transport home, so plan your transport well before discharge. You may also need someone to accompany you home, which will be discussed when your personalised discharge plan is finalised.
If you attend a pre-admission clinic, your doctor or nurse will assess your discharge needs and discuss their recommendations with you.
Some of your medications may change during your hospital stay and only 4 days’ supply of medication will be provided on discharge (with some exceptions).
Discharge time is 12 noon.
As part of preparing for discharge your treating team can provide information and facilitate referrals to support services that are relevant for your needs. This can include referrals to Home Help, Meals on Wheels and other agencies and services based on the particular help you are seeking or require.
If you wish to discuss any of these services before your admission to St Vincent’s please contact the Social Work Department on 02 8382 2213.
Before you leave
- Pack everything you brought, including any medications, xrays and scans.
- Make sure you know details of any follow-up appointments and treatments.
- Review any instructions you have been given.
- Ask any questions about medications, activities, diet and care after discharge.
- Remove any valuables you have stored in the hospital safe.
- Book a time within 4 days of discharge to take all of your old and any new medications to your local doctor to discuss any changes and to obtain further supplies.
- Request any medical certificates you may require.
- Ensure you have the contact details of any services that have been arranged for you.
- Collect your discharge summary to give to your local doctor.
As part of preparing for discharge your treating team can provide information and facilitate referrals to support services that are relevant for your needs. This can include referrals to Home Help, Meals on Wheels and diverse agencies and services based upon the particular help you are seeking or require. If you wish to discuss these concerns before your admission to St Vincent’s Hospital please contact the Social Work Department on 02 8382 2213.
St Vincent's Transit Lounge
St Vincent's Transit Lounge is a safe environment for suitable patients who are medically stable. Patients may be waiting for discharge home or transfer to another facility. The Transit Lounge caters for patients requiring a bed, recliner or chair depending on patient needs.
CLICK HERE for more information.