Medication is an important part of your treatment. When you come to hospital, we will ask you about the medicines you take. Please tell us if you are using:
- tablets from a pharmacist or supermarket
- liquid medicine, e.g. cough syrup
- natural therapies such as herbs and tinctures
- vitamin supplements
- medicated creams
- eye drops.
You can help ensure safe medication use by:
- bringing all of your medicines to hospital with you
- keeping an up-to-date list of your medicines and showing it to our staff when you come to hospital
- letting the staff know if you have had any allergies or bad reactions to medicines in the past
- knowing the name of each of your medicines, what it is for, how it should be taken and any side effects. This is especially important for any new medications
- asking what medicines you're receiving and why ensuring you receive an updated list of medicines with information about each – what it is for, how to take it and any side effects to look out for before you go home
- understanding which other medicines, foods or drinks to avoid when taking the medicine.